Friday, May 7, 2010

Oliver Shredder Kendrick


I already have my keys in hand, and my arms full when I get home from work. I shuffle the items in my arms as I inch my hand to the know trying desperately NOT to drop any of my items. Yes! I got the door open! I walk in and trip on Oliver who has the worst habit of greeting us at the door, only to roll over onto his back. Oliver!

I go to take a shower and leave my towel on the toilet seat. The hot water soothes that little spot on my neck where all my tension goes. I soap up, rinse off, and shut off the flow of water before opening the door to grab my towel. Where’s my towel? I know it was on the toilet seat! Oliver!

I finally get dry, and dressed. I go to get on my shoes to check the mail. Walking to the mailbox my shoe doesn’t feel quite as comfortable. I look down to see the sole hanging off. The teeth marks are unmistakable. Oliver!

I sit down on the couch to watch my favorite show. I have my water, my blanket. I lay down and who is all over me as if I was made of bacon? Smothering me with kisses? Oliver! I calm him down and he looks at me with love and trust in his eyes. And I can’t help but forget all the things that I had earlier found so irritating. He is still a puppy and I know that if he wasn’t home, I’d walk into the door, and miss tripping over him. I’d miss having to fetch a towel soak and wet. But most of all, I’d miss him on my lap smothering me with kisses. Then I make a mental note to buy some more chew toys because I really do like my shoes, cushions, and other miscellaneous items that he prefers to have holes in!

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny, yet so true. Luckily our black lab Magic is too old to do any of those, but we've had the cats do a few things to annoy us, especially our tuxedo kitten Jack. Last Christmas my mom was making some pecan tarts, since she's the only one who likes pecan pie, but can only eat one slice every couple of days, so the pie goes bad before she can finish it off. She had a tray of the tarts sitting on the counter, and while her back was turned, she heard a bit of scampering, and saw the tray of tarts fly in the air, all but one falling on the floor. She then watched as a ball of fluff land squarely on the one tart. There was also a black blur scampering from the counter onto the floor, heading for Points West. Mom yelled "CAT!" Dad asked "which one?" "Which one do you think?" He volunteered to get some more tart pastries, but told mom not to kill any cats, at least not until he got back home. She cleaned the mess up, grabbed Jack, and washed her with a damp washcloth.

    ReplyDelete